My son is graduating from high school today..........I'm so excited and feeling so many different things at this moment.....pride, anxiety, nerves, and underneath all that, I just want to cry. I don't share much about my son online, I'm very protective and have not been able to share with the rest of the world what he has been through.
But, I will share this much... My son was born 2 months premature weighing in at 2 lbs 1oz and 13in long. He had swelling in his brain, a grade III intercranial bleed, premature lungs...and a variety of other issues he was dealing with. On top of that, my son was just days old when I was told that he'd be a "vegetable" for the rest of his life and that he had a chromosomal disorder. That was the heaviest and most crippling feeling I've ever felt...I remember sitting in the genetics/metabolist specialist's office and wanting to cry my heart out. It took everything I had to not do that in her office.
Since then, my son has had many obstacles and surgeries to overcome and adapt to... physically,(he took his first steps at 3), has cerebral palsy, is non-verbal, has dealt with a seizure disorder for years, emotionally (father dropped out of his life completely 10 years ago, not that he was ever willing to step up consistently) and the list goes on and on.
On a lighter note, we've been fortunate enough to have the most caring teacher and therapists through the years, and presently, an awesome homeroom teacher. Today, my son will have his own graduation ceremony (yes,his own little ceremony) with his classmates and teachers present. The classmates that he's been with for the last 2 years since we moved to Texas.
I can't tell you about the anxiety I felt trying to decide if my son would be able to participate in the school's actual graduation ceremony on Sunday. I know my son's limitations, and him sitting there for 2 hours to wait for his name to be called was not happening. So his teacher and I brainstormed and came up with this plan, and I couldn't be more excited. Hubs and I even made enchiladas and rice to share with the class and have lunch with them, and the class made a cake for dessert.
Wish my family could have made it out, but we'll get the entire thing on video.
(To my special little guy, we've been through so much together. Your strength and determination have never let up. Tu eres mi angel. I am so blessed to have you as my son. I'm so proud of you and I love you more than you'll ever know....)
~your proud mama!
May 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
congratulations to your son and your family!! and not only are you a proud mama, but a strong one too to see him through his struggles. sending big hugs to you today!
aww, thanks Jenn, I appreciate that! *hug*
Congratulations and I know your heart is swelling with pride. Enjoy every single second, stay in the moment and tell your son congrats from the Harting Family.
Congratulations to your son and to you too, mamma! He's so lucky to have you for a mom!
Congrats to you and your son! What an incredible journey you've been on, only to prove you both can get through anything.
Such a beautiful post, still wiping the tears from my eyes.
:) Can't wait to give you a big hug in person some day.
Post a Comment