It's hard to believe we're at the halfway mark! YES!
I never thought it'd get here, and looking back now I can see how fast our time here has actually gone. If you would have asked me a year ago how "recruiting" was going, I would have said, "Great, thanks for asking!"
A year and a half later, I'm singing a somewhat different tune; well it’s a mixed bag really. Now don't get me wrong, the Navy has been good to us. My husband was fortunate enough to have this billet approved and get out of CA, which is what he wanted after being at the same base for 10+ years. Plus, we were ready for something “different”…and yes, we definitely got it. Now don’t get me wrong, there are a few positive aspects to our lives here, like the cost of living…. Thank you Texas!
We currently live in a mid-sized town which we like, we bought our first home, very simple and modest, but ours...we have our health, we have each other, and we get to sleep in each other’s arms every night, and I’m very grateful for that.
Although recruiting is a far cry from having to endure a deployment, training, dets, work-ups and the list goes on and on. But sometimes you feel alone just the same. You miss the convenience of having a base nearby and the connection to the military life and fellow spouses that you can relate to.
Looking back I realize it’s been quite a journey for us. There have been countless nights of eating dinner alone and carrying on a conversation with my dogs and cat, (c’mon, you know you’ve done it too!) I work full-time outside of the home and just once would I like to have dinner waiting for me as I walk through the door. *sigh* Too much to ask?
Despite all that, I fully support my husband 100% and his current choice for shore duty. So we’re away from family and friends; and all we have is each other and jobs that keep us very busy. But you know what? We have grown so much as a couple, our friendship and bond has gotten stronger! I’ve realized that recruiting duty has been a blessing in disguise. So I grumble under my breath at times about the hours, (Wouldn’t you?) but we make the most of the time we spend together on the weekends. We practically live at Lowe’s and we’ve become quite the DIYers while updating and improving our house, and we love it!
Although recently the long hours were wearing on me and I’ve been looking at the calendar and thinking to myself-"How much time do we have left here?" I'm sure many of you can relate. I’m ready for the next adventure, even though that adventure will include “sea duty.”
August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Yay for being to the halfway mark! You're on the downhill sweep now. :-)
congrats on the halfway mark! i completely understand the feeling of recruiting duty :) but there are the blessings mixed in with the frustrations. it's truly great to have your hubby home every night, even if it's late.
hopefully my house will get a new adventure in recruiting soon.
Congrats at being at the halfway mark! and thank you for the comment on my furbaby friday post :) I totally understand about the being busy. I've been trying to get this meme going for months now and wasn't getting feedback so I started slacking and thought today if i didn't hear from anyone I might just delete it.
Post a Comment